What is the Ocean Signal rescueME PLB3 AIS?
Aiding safety at sea, the Ocean Signal rescueME PLB3 AIS is a Personal Locator Beacon (PLB) with built-in AIS (Automatic Identification System) technology. It is a safety solution that should be carried onboard by all casual and dedicated boaters, mariners, or fishermen so that they can signal their distress to nearby vessels should they run into danger.
Key features and benefits of this PLB:
- Emergency Alerting: The PLB3 AIS can transmit emergency distress signals via multiple satellite constellations, such as the COSPAS-SARSAT system, to alert search and rescue authorities of your distress situation.
- Integrated AIS Transmitter: This device includes an integrated AIS transmitter that broadcasts your location and identity to nearby AIS-equipped vessels and shore stations, enhancing your chances of being quickly located and rescued by nearby vessels.
- Global Coverage: The device operates globally, ensuring that your distress signal can be received and relayed to search and rescue authorities, regardless of your location on the planet.
- Compact and Lightweight: The PLB3 AIS is designed to be portable and easy to carry, making it a suitable safety device for boaters, sailors, and other water enthusiasts.
- Buoyant and Waterproof: It is built to float and is waterproof, ensuring that it remains operational even in wet and challenging marine environments.
AIS Technology Demystified
Understanding AIS and its role in the PLB.
AIS stands for Automatic Identification System, and it is a technology used primarily in the maritime industry to improve the safety and management of vessels. AIS allows ships and other maritime entities to automatically broadcast and receive information about their identity, position, speed, course, and other relevant data. This information is transmitted via VHF radio signals and can be received by other vessels, shore stations, and even satellites.
How the Ocean Signal rescueME PLB3 AIS enhances safety at sea.
When operating in remote areas at sea, having this powerful beacon onboard will direct nearby vessels straight to your location in the event of an at-sea emergency. The approaching vessels can also identify what kind of boat you are in if they are equipped with AIS technology also. So, with minimal effort, the PLB3 AIS paints an accurate picture completely remotely for surrounding marine traffic so that they are aware of your situation and can coordinate a rescue operation accordingly based on the information the beacon transmits.
Applications In Maritime Safety
Real-life scenarios where the PLB3 AIS can make a difference.
Anything from a sinking ship to a stranded sailor, the PL3 AIS ensures that distress calls are swiftly received and acted upon, significantly reducing response times and optimising the chances of successful rescues. Added to this, it is an indispensable tool for navigating through crowded and complex maritime environments, preventing collisions, and ultimately contributing to a safer and more secure ocean for all.
Why every sailor and mariner should consider having one onboard.
Every sailor should consider having an Ocean Signal RescueME PLB3 onboard for their safety because it serves as a crucial emergency beacon. The PLB3 one of the best personal locator beacon solutions and is designed to transmit a distress signal via satellite, providing your exact GPS coordinates to search and rescue authorities in case of an emergency. This ensures a rapid response and greatly enhances the chances of being rescued quickly and safely, which is paramount when sailing in remote or challenging maritime environments. In short, the PLB3 is a compact and reliable lifesaving device that can be a critical tool for sailors to call for help when it's needed the most.
Using the Ocean Signal RescueME PLB3 AIS
Step-by-step guide on how to activate and use the PLB in an emergency.
It is vitally important that, if you are going to carry on of these devices onboard your vessel, you know how to use it when you need it most because time may very much be of the essence. Below is a quick guide on how to activate and use the PLB3 in an emergency:
- Slide the red Arming Slide down.
- Slide the grey Activation Slide to the Left or Right.
- Take great care to keep well clear of eyes and face as the antenna will be released very quickly. Keep at least 30cm (12”) clear to avoid possible injury.
- If the PLB3 fails to activate when the slide is removed, press the ON Key until the green LED (blue if RLS is enabled) illuminates for 1 second and starts flashing.
- Release the key.
Maintenance tips and battery life considerations.
The PLB3 contains Lithium ion batteries which means its operating life is optimised for long periods. To ensure long life, the battery must be replaced either prior to the expiry date shown on the rear label or after the PLB3 has been used, even if only activated for a short period of time. The battery condition can be determined by carrying out the Self Test procedure.
- Battery replacement must be carried out at an Ocean Signal authorised battery replacement centre using manufacturer supplied battery components.
- DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REPLACE THE BATTERIES YOURSELF
- The PLB3 is a lifesaving device and unauthorised opening and battery replacement may cause the unit to fail upon activation putting your life at risk.
- Store between -30°C (-22°F) to +70°C (+158°F)
- Do not short circuit, incinerate or recharge.
Comparing The Ocean Signal RescueME PLB3 AIS
A comparative analysis with other PLBs and AIS-equipped safety devices.
- Ocean Signal RescueME PLB1
The PLB1 quickly starts transmitting when a crewmember hits the water at the press of a button. The PLB1 transmits via the COSPAS SARSAT satellite system. There’s no subscription to pay but you do need to register your device when you buy it so the rescue services know who they are dealing with and who your next of kin are. When activated the RescueME PLB1 transmits your position and your ID to a Rescue Coordination Centre via the satellite link. Rescue services nearest to the activated beacon location are promptly notified of your emergency and regularly advised of your current location to assist prompt rescue.
- FastFind Crew1 AIS Man Overboard Beacon
Designed to improve the survivability of those on the water, the FastFind CREW1 AIS MOB provides the quality and innovation that FastFind is famous for in the world of marine electronics.
The beacon itself is rugged and semi-automatic, meaning it can be manually activated, or when it makes contact with water. It comes with endurance, 36-hour battery life, and powerful SOS strobe light.
The FastFind CREW1 is designed with crew survivability in mind. Submersible to 50m, the Crew1 offers a versatile commercial grade AIS man over-board solution.
- Ocean Signal RescueME PLB3
With the introduction of AIS, RLS technology, and Near Field Communication (NFC) capabilities in one 406 MHz PLB, the rescueME PLB3 represents a significant step forward in the evolution of PLB’s. The merging of 406MHz and AIS distress messaging effectively pairs both global and local rescue, thereby maximizing access to the most effective rescue resources available.
In addition, NFC capability provides users with the world’s first smartphone-connected PLB and the all-new Return Link Service feature provides users with the comfort in knowing that their distress message has been received and their location detected by worldwide Search and Rescue personnel. As a leading innovator in life-saving products for both professional and recreational use, Ocean Signal is proud to offer the PLB3. As the world’s FIRST Personal Locator Beacon to include AIS and the world’s FIRST PLB to include NFC, there’s no need to justify why the PLB3 should be your FIRST choice
- What makes the Ocean Signal rescueME PLB3 AIS a top choice for maritime safety?
With enough technology built-in to rival even some of the world’s best satellite messengers, the Ocean Signal rescueME PLB3 AIS should ideally form part of anybody’s carry-on equipment when they take to the waters. It’s easy to use, compact, and robust, so can handle even the more extreme marine conditions and won’t take up room for other pieces equipment.
As always, our team of experts is here to help. So, if you need any advice about the Ocean Signal rescueME PLB3 AIS, contact us via:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 0800 112 3919