How Do You Choose The Best Iridium Satellite Phones?
Satellite phones are a way of making or taking voice calls or data connections from places in the world where traditional phone networks do not typically reach. Anywhere from the sites of natural or manmade disasters to the middle of the Atlantic, a satellite phone is the ideal solution for handheld satellite communication to anyone, anywhere in the world.
The Iridium Network
The Iridium satellite network is the world’s only truly global network. While others allow people to make calls from specific regions – or on near-global scales – Iridium satellite phones open up every square kilometre of the world to ensure calls can be made from any location. Iridium’s satellite constellation is a mesh of 66 Low Earth Orbit (LEO) satellites, all within the same range as each other, meaning that you are always guaranteed a connection. The Iridium network is commonly used by various industries and organizations including maritime, aviation, government agencies, emergency responders, and individuals in remote locations who require reliable communication services. It provides essential connectivity for voice and data transmission in some of the most remote and challenging environments on Earth.
Rugged And Reliable
When it comes to the handsets themselves, Iridium’s satellite phones rank among some of the most robust but dependable models available. Consisting of two flagship devices – the Iridium Extreme® and the Iridium 9555 satellite phone – Iridium’s hardware comes with a shared IP65 rating, giving both phones dust ingress protection, shock-proofing, protection against low-pressure water jets from any direction, as well as condensation and water spray.
Beyond Basic Communication
Iridium satellite phones can do so much more than just make voice calls. Delving into their functionalities reveals several other ways in which you can communicate using an Iridium phone rather than simply dialling someone’s phone number.
- Cross-Platform Compatibility: Iridium phones can connect to other devices like laptops, tablets, and IoT modules, enabling a wide range of applications beyond voice calls. This is crucial for industries such as maritime, aviation, emergency services, and remote field operations.
- Internet Access: Iridium provides limited internet access through its satellite network, allowing users to send and receive emails, browse the web, and access critical data, albeit at slower speeds compared to terrestrial broadband. This is especially valuable in areas without traditional internet infrastructure.
- SMS And Short Burst Data (SBD): Iridium phones support SMS and SBD services, enabling users to send short messages and data packets, making them ideal for remote monitoring, tracking, and sending important information in a concise format.
- Emergency Services: Iridium phones are often used as emergency communication devices. In the event of natural disasters or other emergencies, they provide a lifeline for first responders and individuals to call for help, even when terrestrial networks are down.
- Tracking And Monitoring: Iridium offers tracking and monitoring services for assets, vehicles, and equipment. These services are crucial for logistics, maritime, and other industries that require real-time location information.
We have many customers putting our hardware to use for many different applications and scenarios. A lot of the time it is for peace of mind purposes, just in case something threatening occurs. We have seen customers use Iridium satellite phones in the middle of the Antarctic, speaking with family as if they were calling them from the same town. We have also had emergency response crews in regions like the Turks and Caicos area needing Iridium satellite phones in order to prepare for and manage the damage inflicted during hurricane season. When local communications infrastructure becomes damaged by the violent storms often witnessed in regions like this, globally connected satellite phones from Iridium become invaluable in terms of coordinating rescue and recovery efforts.
Iridium satellite phones are squarely aimed at travellers, adventurers, or professionals looking for a hard-wearing handset that can make or take phone calls, emails, SMS messages, and more on a global scale. From Antarctic explorers to emergency preparedness teams, Iridium satellite phones provide the reassurance that, no matter where in the world you are, if you need to contact anyone from family, friends, or a specialist recovery team, you can be reliably connected through one of the two flagship Iridium models.
As always, our team of experts is here to help. So, if you need any advice about Iridium satellite phones, contact us via:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 0800 112 3919